NEW YORK CAR ACCIDENT LAWYER
ON THIS PAGE
Heavy traffic, pedestrian congestion, and ongoing construction in New York can make driving in the city challenging. Unfortunately, these factors also can increase the risk of car accidents that result in serious injuries and damages. If you were hurt in a car crash in any of the five New York boroughs, a New York car accident lawyer with Chopra & Nocerino, LLP, is ready to go to bat for you and your family.
New York car accident statistics show that motor vehicle crashes occur daily throughout the city. In August 2023 alone, there were 7,746 auto accidents involving 15,032 motorists, leading to more than 2,000 injury victims and 17 fatalities. That’s an average of about 250 serious collisions citywide reported to the New York City Police Department each day that month.
If you or a loved one were injured in a New York car accident, it could put a lot of financial and emotional strain on your life. Painful injuries may keep you from returning to work and earning an income to support your family and pay your bills. At Chopra & Nocerino, LLP, we understand these struggles and can fight for the compensation you deserve. Fill out a form to schedule a free case evaluation with our team.
Can You Sue for a Car Accident in New York?
In New York City, car accident victims can sue to recover damages if they sustain severe injuries from the crash and their own insurance does not provide enough coverage. This option applies to accident victims in all five boroughs—Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, and the Bronx.
However, navigating insurance claims and the legal process following a car accident in New York can be complex. Working with a New York City car accident attorney can help you maximize your recovery and claim the full amount owed for your losses.
Why the Accident Attorneys at Chopra & Nocerino Stand Out
Chopra & Nocerino, LLP, is a premier personal injury firm that has helped countless New York City car accident victims pursue justice. Serving all five boroughs of New York, we help our clients fight for fair compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other accident losses.
When you work with our team, we treat you like family and provide personalized support and representation every step of the way. We offer:
- Compassionate legal guidance and support for you and your family
- Help with scheduling doctor appointments and getting needed medical care
- Open communication and a clear explanation of your rights and options
- Expert negotiation skills and trial experience
- No upfront fees or out-of-pocket expenses for our services
- A proven track record of successful car accident claims in New York
Unlike other injury law firms, we are proud to be real New Yorkers who won’t back down from unfair insurance companies or other attorneys. We swing for the fences and are unafraid to take your case to court to get you and your family the needed financial support. Schedule your free consultation now to learn more about our legal services and how we can help with your case.
Types of Car Accident Claims Handled by Chopra & Nocerino
Chopra & Nocerino, LLP, has experience handling different types of auto accident cases throughout the five boroughs of New York, including the following:
- T-bone or side-impact crashes – These kinds of crashes accounted for 22 percent of passenger vehicle fatalities in 2021, leading to 3,662 deaths nationwide. Because the sides of a car offer much less insulation from a collision than the front and back, passengers face unique risks in side-impact collisions that are not present in other accident types.
- Rear-end collisions – Whether a fender bender on a neighborhood road or a more serious collision on a major highway, rear-end collisions are also quite common. They accounted for about 18 percent of all collisions in 2021, resulting in 3,600 fatalities nationwide.
- Commercial Semi-Trucks – Because of their enormous size and weight, large commercial trucks, including 18-wheelers and charter buses, can wreak havoc when involved in an accident. For this reason, drivers operating these vehicles must comply with strict city, state, and federal regulations. In 2021, 5,788 people died in large-truck crashes nationwide.
- Delivery truck accidents – Delivery drivers must stop frequently, contend with difficult delivery schedules, and navigate through the maze of streets in New York. These pressures can raise the risk of accidents. Like semi-trucks, delivery trucks also tend to cause more damage than smaller passenger vehicles when involved in accidents.
- Motorcycle collisions – Motorcycle accidents are some of the most dangerous we handle in our personal injury practice. Because motorcyclists are almost completely exposed to the full impact of a collision, they are extremely vulnerable to catastrophic injuries in the event of an accident. In 2021, 6,084 motorcyclists died in crashes nationwide.
- Bicycle accidents – Like motorcyclists, bicyclists are also extremely vulnerable to serious injury when involved in auto accidents. Even a slow-moving vehicle can cause enormous damage. Around 1,000 bicyclists die and over 130,000 are injured nationwide every year.
- Multi-car pile-ups – These accidents tend to occur on major highways and freeways that see heavy traffic. For example, if one car stops suddenly in a line of fast-moving vehicles traveling in close proximity, others will be forced to do the same or swiftly switch lanes. In these situations, folks can react too quickly or too slowly, raising the risk of a pile-up.
- Rideshare accidents involving Uber and Lyft passengers – Rideshares are extremely popular due to their convenience, especially in a city like New York. Even so, like other road users, rideshare drivers are not immune to accidents. However, because of the laws governing rideshare auto liability insurance, folks involved in these accidents face unique challenges when trying to secure compensation for injuries and losses.
- Hit-and-run incidents – It is illegal to flee from the scene of an accident. However, some people remain undeterred, often because they are uninsured. If you are the victim of a hit-and-run accident, our attorneys can help you explore avenues toward compensation, including uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.
Schedule a confidential case evaluation to see how we can help you claim compensation after a New York car accident.
FAQs About New York Car Accident Claims
To help you understand your rights after a New York car accident, our team explains the legal options for pursuing compensation and what to expect during the claims process.
How Much Is My Car Accident Case Worth?
Car accident compensation in NY will depend on the types of losses you sustained from the crash. You may qualify to recover compensatory damages, including the following:
- Medical bills
- Cost of future medical care
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earnings capacity
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Emotional distress
Our team will help you fight for the maximum amount available for your damages. You deserve financial compensation to cover the cost of medical care, hospital stays, and the work income you lost while you recovered from your injuries.
How Much Does It Cost To Hire an Auto Accident Attorney?
A common misconception many car accident victims have is that they cannot afford an experienced attorney to help them with their case. At Chopra & Nocerino, LLP, you don’t owe us anything until we win your case. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning we only get paid if you do. That is how confident we are that we can get results for you.
Is There a Time Limit for Filing an Injury Claim After an Accident?
Yes, there is a deadline to file a legal claim after a New York car wreck. In most motor vehicle accident cases, you have three years from the incident date to file a lawsuit to recover damages. However, there may be exceptions in some circumstances. Speak with our team to initiate your case so you don’t miss out on compensation for your injuries and suffering.
What Happens if You Are Hit and Injured by a Driver Without Insurance?
If the driver who caused your accident does not have insurance, you can still claim financial support for your losses. First, you can use your personal injury protection or no-fault insurance to cover medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses. If that does not fully cover your damages, you can file a claim under your uninsured motorist coverage. You may also qualify to sue the driver responsible for the accident.
Can I Submit a Car Accident Claim in New York if I Was a Passenger?
If you were a passenger involved in an accident caused by negligence, you have the right to seek compensation for damages. You can file a claim under your or the other driver’s insurance policy or pursue a lawsuit against the at-fault party if you suffered serious injuries. Contact a New York car accident lawyer to learn more about your rights and options.
What To Do Immediately After a Car Wreck in New York
Taking the right steps after a crash is essential for staying safe and putting yourself in an excellent position to take legal action. After a car accident in New York, here are some things to remember:
- Move to the shoulder or a safe location away from traffic if possible.
- Call 911 for police assistance and immediate medical attention.
- Do your best to take pictures of the accident scene and gather other crucial evidence, including witness information.
- Exchange your insurance and contact details with the other drivers involved in the crash.
- Report the accident to your insurance provider and the police.
- Contact an attorney to get car accident legal advice in NY.
If you need help after a car wreck, our team is ready to step up to the plate and fight for your rights. Schedule your free consultation today.
How Chopra & Nocerino, LLP Goes to Bat for Auto Accident Victims
At Chopra & Nocerino, LLP, we are passionate about justice for our clients. We will take your case as far as it needs to go to get the compensation you’re owed after a wreck. Our legal services include:
- Free initial consultations and case evaluations after a crash
- Gathering evidence and expert testimony to support your case
- Meticulous calculation of your damages and the value of our claim
- Aggressive negotiations with the insurance companies on your behalf
- Litigating in court before a judge and jury, if necessary
- Extensive resources to help you and your family get back on your feet
Recent Motor Vehicle Accident Case Results
We have secured millions in successful settlements and verdicts for our clients.
- $3,650,000 – MVA
- $2,000,000 – MVA
- $1,025,000 – MVA
- $945,000 – couple in an accident
- $750,000 – pedestrian
Auto Accident Client Testimonials
Here’s what some recent clients have to say about working with our team:
- The attorneys and staff are professional, knowledgeable, very thorough, and compassionate. They truly work hard to get the best outcome for their clients. You will not be pressured to take an offer when they know you deserve more for your injuries. – Deborah
- I can’t express enough how grateful I am to the entire firm and especially the partners in particular. Chopra & Nocerino were clear and communicative throughout the entire litigation process. I was a new mother shortly before the accident occurred. They were extra kind and mindful of all I had going on while keeping me informed. – Linde
- When I got into my motor vehicle accident, everything seemed to be like a nightmare. I was left in pain and with a totaled car. The attorneys and staff at Chopra & Nocerino, LLP, did everything to make this process as smooth as possible. They are available at any time to speak, and are always on top of what they’re doing. – Carmelo
Understanding New York Car Accident Laws
Several New York laws apply to car accidents. If you’re involved in a New York crash, here are the rules you need to know.
Under New York law, you must report the accident to the police if there is an injury or property damage above $1,000. You have 10 days from the accident date to report the crash to the New York Department of Motor Vehicles.
Exchanging Contact Information
Further, you must stay at the scene of the accident and exchange the following information with the other drivers involved in the crash:
- Proof of insurance
- Driver’s license numbers
Insurance Minimum Requirements
New York requires the purchase of certain insurance coverage minimums, including:
- $10,000 for property damage per accident
- $25,000 for bodily injury per person per accident
- $50,000 total for bodily injury per accident
- $50,000 in personal injury protection, or PIP
- $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident for uninsured motorist bodily injury
New York No-Fault Insurance
When You’re Hurt in a Car Accident, We Step Up to the Plate
Don’t let the insurance companies take advantage of your situation and offer you less than your claim is worth. Our team of knowledgeable and passionate New York car accident lawyers will ensure you’re treated fairly and fight for the maximum amount for your car accident claim. Contact us to schedule a free consultation.
CONTACT A LAWYER TODAY
ON THIS PAGE
- New York Personal Injury Lawyer
- New York Bicycle Accident Lawyer
- New York Car Accident Lawyer
- New York Lyft Accident Lawyer
- New York Uber Accident Lawyer
- New York Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- New York Truck Accident Lawyer
- New York Delivery Truck Accident Lawyer
- New York FedEx Accident Lawyer
- New York UPS Accident Lawyer
- New York Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- $10 MILLION
- $2.25 MILLION
- $2.25 MILLION
- $1.05 MILLION