NEW YORK CRANE ACCIDENT LAWYER
ON THIS PAGE
In a city known for its skyscrapers and urban density, construction is an everyday reality. Unfortunately, the prevalence of the construction industry in New York also increases the risk of accidents involving equipment like overhead cranes. The large size and unwieldy dimensions of construction cranes, not to mention the enormous weight they often lift, mean that the results can be devastating when they are involved in accidents.
Cranes are large pieces of machinery capable of carrying literal tons of material and equipment. When accidents occur involving cranes, the resulting injuries can be catastrophic. In addition to catastrophic injuries, they often leave injured victims facing steep medical bills and lost wages. The skilled New York crane accident lawyers at Chopra & Nocerino, LLP, can help.
Do not wait to seek legal guidance if you or a loved one has been injured in a crane accident. You may be entitled to compensation from the at-fault party, and working with an attorney is the best way to make sure your case gets off to a strong start.
The experienced New York crane accident lawyers at Chopra & Nocerino, LLP, will help you understand your full legal rights and options. Fill out our online form to schedule your free consultation.
The Legal Implications of Crane Accidents in New York
Crane accidents can generate a flurry of legal consequences, including liability for compensating injured victims. If you were injured in a crane accident, odds are you are entitled to compensation from the at-fault party.
To pursue this compensation, you must first determine who is to blame for the incident. Our accident and injury lawyers have the knowledge and skills needed to carefully examine all aspects of your crane accident, including whether workers followed state rules and regulations.
Like other states, New York has many rules and regulations that crane operators, owners, and other responsible parties must follow. For example, a qualified individual must inspect every crane before it is erected and operated for the first time on any job.
Additionally, sites using cranes must keep up with preventative maintenance programs in accordance with manufacturer instructions. The associated maintenance records must be available on the job site for regulatory authorities to examine.
These rules and regulations are in place to prevent accidents from happening. Unfortunately, construction sites do not always follow the rules, potentially opening the door to catastrophic construction site accidents.
Having a skilled New York crane accident attorney is crucial after being injured in this kind of accident. Our lawyers can help you navigate the details to identify all at-fault parties and hold them accountable for their actions.
Steps to Take After a Crane Accident in New York
The steps you take following a crane accident can make a huge difference if you choose to file a lawsuit later. The following are a few basic steps you should take:
- Seek medical attention – Seek medical attention as soon as possible if you were injured in a crane accident—even if you don’t think the injuries you sustained are serious. The medical records your doctor prepares will become crucial evidence in a lawsuit, and seeking prompt medical attention ensures that nothing is overlooked.
- Gather evidence – When safe to do so, gather information about the accident. Take photos and videos of the scene, collect witness statements, and obtain their contact information. If there is any surveillance equipment nearby, make sure you take note of where it is located.
- Report the accident – Report the accident to your supervisor or the appropriate higher-ups. Document when you report the incident and who accepts your report. In many cases, it will also be necessary to call emergency services.
- Talk to a lawyer – A skilled New York crane accident lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and options, as well as pursue compensation for your injuries. If you were injured as an employee, you can pursue funds through a workers’ compensation claim, but this might not be enough to compensate you fairly. Our lawyers may be able to help you seek damages through a personal injury lawsuit instead.
Why Choose Chopra & Nocerino to Handle Your Crane Accident?
Chopra & Nocerino, LLP, is a firm unlike any other out there. Our legal team is made up of real New Yorkers dedicated to helping people like you recover compensation for injuries sustained at little to no fault of your own. Our knowledgeable attorneys have extensive experience handling crane accidents and can help you navigate the complexities of your case.
When handling your crane accident case, we will launch a careful investigation to uncover critical details and build a strong claim on your behalf. We are a full-service personal injury law firm with the skills and resources necessary to handle your case from start to finish. Whether negotiating with insurers or presenting your case before a judge and jury, we will stand by your side.
We understand that, at the end of the day, results speak louder than words. Our attorneys have proudly helped injury victims throughout New York secure millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements. Read what our clients have to say:
- “I can’t recommend Chopra & Nocerino enough. They took my case when no one else would and earned me a settlement that most didn’t think was possible. They have the resources of a larger firm but treat you as if you are their only client. Great firm with great lawyers, especially Alex Nocerino.” – Marty B.
- “I recently had the pleasure of working with Chopra & Nocerino, and I cannot thank them enough for the exceptional service that was provided to me.” – Paulette K.
- “Great attorney, recommend him highly. Will fight to get what you deserve.” – Alex C.
Frequently Asked Questions About Crane Accidents
1. What Damages Can I Recover Through a Crane Accident Lawsuit?
If you were injured, you may be entitled to a wide variety of compensation through a construction crane accident lawsuit, including medical expenses, lost wages, pain, and suffering. Our construction crane accident lawyers are ready to step up to the plate and fight for every penny you are owed in compensation.
2. How Long Do I Have to File a Crane Accident Lawsuit in New York?
3. Can I Still Sue if I Was Partly At Fault for a Crane Accident?
Yes. You can seek compensation even if you were partly responsible for an accident. However, your compensation will be reduced in proportion to your degree of fault. Our experienced New York personal injury lawyers can defend you against wrongful accusations of fault.
4. What Safety Standards Protect Crane Accident Victims?
5. What Precautionary Measures Can Construction Workers Take to Avoid Crane Accidents?
Construction sites can help prevent crane accidents by following proper preventative measures, such as hiring certified operators, completing necessary inspections, and developing preventive maintenance programs.
Crane Accidents: Causes, Types, and Statistics
Unfortunately, crane accidents are more common than you may think in New York and across the country. In many cases, they are fatal.
Common Types and Causes of Crane Accidents
Operating overhead cranes, especially when they are moving heavy loads, requires skill. Why? Because the long neck of a crane used to lift loads up high or move them across a wide area is counterbalanced by the base of the machine. If this balance is thrown off, the results can be catastrophic. Common causes of crane accidents include:
- Mechanical failures
- Dropped loads
- Contact with power lines
- Inclement weather
- Crane collapses
- Insufficient training
- Rigging failures
- Improper assembly
- Failure to obey safety regulations
Common Injuries Sustained in Crane Accidents
A collapsing crane can wreak havoc at a work site, and some cranes are so enormous that they cause damage well beyond the borders of their site when they fall. This is even more common in a tightly packed city like New York. Common injuries sustained in crane accidents include:
Crane Accident Statistics
According to data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, there were 297 crane-related deaths nationwide from 2011-2017, which translates to an average of 42 deaths per year over this 7-year period. Over half of these crane fatalities involved workers being struck by an object or equipment. Falls to a lower level accounted for another 14 percent. Finally, transportation incidents accounted for 13 percent.
Again, in New York City, cranes are commonplace, and the risk of crane accidents cannot be reduced to zero. In fact, New York ranks among the top three states for the number of fatal injuries involving cranes. The state saw 16 crane-related fatalities from 2011-2017.
There have been several recent crane accidents in our city. For instance, in July 2023, a crane carrying a 16-ton load collapsed after catching fire on 10th Avenue. Eleven people were injured, including nine civilians and two firefighters.
Let the Legal Team at Chopra & Nocerino, LLP, Handle Your Crane Accident Lawsuit
If you or a loved one has been injured in a crane accident in New York, our top-notch team of personal injury attorneys can help you seek compensation from the at-fault party. We are real New Yorkers and proudly serve our community by helping injury victims exercise their legal rights after being injured at little to no fault of their own. Fill out our online form to schedule your free consultation.
CONTACT A LAWYER TODAY
ON THIS PAGE
- $3.5 MILLION
- $3 MILLION