Garden City Car Accident Attorney
ON THIS PAGE
The streets in Garden City are packed with locals commuting to work, parents taking their kids to school, and folks driving up and down Long Island. All this activity means more cars on the road and a higher risk of car accidents. If you or a loved one were injured in a car crash, you need a skilled car accident lawyer to help you navigate the legal claims process and advocate for your rights.
Our Garden City personal injury law firm can help you maximize your compensation. As the exclusive personal injury law firm of the New York Mets, settlement negotiation and courtroom advocacy are our fields of play. We know the rules of the game and play hardball for each and every one of our clients.
Schedule your free consultation today by filling out our online form. Do not wait to take legal action and learn how we can help you with your Garden City car accident lawsuit.
Why Choose Garden City Accident Attorneys Chopra & Nocerino?
Your personal injury lawyer at Chopra & Nocerino will serve as your closest ally throughout the life of your case. When you work with our Garden City car accident attorneys, you can rest assured that your lawsuit will get the undivided attention it deserves. We fight for our clients as we would for our own families, providing personalized legal counsel and representation every step of the way.
Our top-tier legal team has been widely recognized for the high quality of our services. Our awards and accolades include:
- Sameer Chopra, Super Lawyer (2022)
- Alex Nocerino, Super Lawyer (2022)
- Super Lawyers Rising Star
- Top Lawyer, Top 100 Registry (2023)
- National Trial Lawyers Top 100
- Top 10 under 40, National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys
Our case results speak for themselves. We have secured millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts on behalf of our clients.
At the end of the day, however, nothing speaks more loudly than the glowing reviews we receive from our many satisfied clients.
Types of Car Accident Claims Handled in Garden City, NY
Each car accident is unique and should be handled case-by-case by an experienced personal injury lawyer. At Chopra & Nocerino, our car accident lawyers in Garden City are seasoned players. We have the skills and experience needed to handle any auto accident in Garden City, including:
- Car Accidents – Of course, most auto accidents involve everyday passenger vehicles. They range widely from minor collisions on neighborhood roads to catastrophic pile-ups on major highways. In all cases, we are here to help you defend your right to compensation.
- Truck Accidents – Accidents involving commercial vehicles like trucks can be more complex due to additional regulations governing commercial drivers and the potential involvement of corporate entities.
- Motorcycle Accidents – These lawsuits arise when a motorcyclist is involved in a collision with another vehicle. Given the vulnerability of motorcyclists compared to occupants of enclosed vehicles, these accidents often result in catastrophic injuries and fatalities.
- Rideshare Accidents – In accidents involving ridesharing vehicles from companies like Uber or Lyft, liability can be complex, requiring a close look at the individual driver’s actions, the rideshare company’s policies, and the governing law.
- Pedestrian Accidents – These lawsuits arise when a vehicle hits a pedestrian. Because pedestrians are fully exposed to the full force of oncoming vehicles, these accidents can result in severe or even fatal injuries.
- Bicycle Accidents – These accidents arise when a vehicle hits a bicyclist, resulting in injury or death. Liability in these cases often focuses on the driver’s failure to yield right of way and other forms of negligence.
- Rear-End Collisions – In these cases, liability often falls on the driver who rear-ended the other vehicle, but exceptions exist.
- Hit and Run Accidents – These involve drivers who leave the accident scene without providing contact information. Victims may seek compensation through their own insurance or, if the driver is later identified, through a lawsuit.
- Multi-Vehicle Accidents – These cases often require extensive investigation to determine liability. Multiple parties may be held simultaneously liable.
- DUI/DWI Accidents – Lawsuits against drivers who cause accidents while under the influence of alcohol or drugs often involve punitive damages due to the reckless nature of the offending driver’s actions.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Accidents – When the at-fault driver does not have sufficient insurance coverage, injured victims must often file a claim under their own uninsured/underinsured (UM/UIM) motorist coverage.
- Wrongful Death – Wrongful death lawsuits are filed when a car accident results in fatalities. In New York, these suits are brought by the representative of the decedent’s estate seeking compensation for things like funeral expenses, loss of income, and loss of companionship.
Each type of lawsuit has its own unique considerations and legal strategies. The specific facts of each case, along with state laws, will heavily influence the approach and potential outcomes.
Insurance Process in Garden City Auto Accidents
Because New York is a no-fault insurance state, accident victims must file a claim through their own personal injury protection (PIP) policy, which provides coverage regardless of who is at fault for the accident. However, this insurance may not be enough to cover all expenses or damages.
Fortunately, in New York, drivers must also carry auto liability insurance. If you sustain a “serious injury” or economic loss in excess of $50,000, you can seek compensation through the at-fault party’s liability insurance, as well as a car accident lawsuit. New York’s auto liability insurance minimums break down as follows:
- $25,000 for bodily injury sustained by one person in an accident, or $50,000 for an injury resulting in death.
- $50,000 for bodily injury sustained by two or more persons, or $100,000 for injuries resulting in the death of two or more persons.
- $10,000 for damage to another party’s car or property per accident.
Our car accident attorneys at Chopra & Nocerino will handle settlement negotiations with insurance adjusters and ensure you are not taken advantage of. You can count on us to take a no-nonsense approach and push back hard when they try to diminish or deny the full value of your claim.
Establishing Liability in Garden City Car Accidents
Establishing liability in a car accident lawsuit normally involves proving that another party was at fault for the accident due to their negligence. Negligence is a legal term meaning that someone failed to take reasonable care to avoid causing harm to others. Here are the key steps in establishing liability under this legal theory:
- Determine the Duty of Care – Establish that the defendant owed a duty of care. In the context of driving, this is generally straightforward, as all drivers have a duty to operate their vehicles safely to avoid harming others on the road.
- Breach of Duty – Show that the defendant breached their duty of care. This could involve demonstrating that the defendant violated traffic laws (e.g., by speeding, running a red light, or driving under the influence) or otherwise acted in a way that a reasonable person would not under similar circumstances.
- Causation – Prove that the defendant’s breach of duty caused the accident and your injuries. This is often where accident reconstruction experts and eyewitness testimonies become crucial, as they can help draw a direct line between the defendant’s actions and the accident.
- Damages – Demonstrate that the plaintiff suffered actual damages as a result of the accident. This can include medical bills, lost wages, pain, suffering, and more.
- Consider Comparative Negligence – In New York, fault in a car accident can be shared under the doctrine of comparative negligence, which can affect the compensation you receive.
- Collect Evidence – Gathering evidence is crucial. Important evidence may include police reports, eyewitness statements, photographs of the accident scene, surveillance footage, medical records, and expert testimony. In some cases, data from vehicle black boxes or cell phone records can also be pertinent.
Establishing liability in a car accident lawsuit is a process that requires a thorough understanding of the law, meticulous evaluation of evidence, and advocacy skills in settlement negotiations and court. Chopra & Nocerino is standing by to provide the high-quality legal representation you deserve.
Who Can Be Held Liable in a Garden City Car Accident?
In a car accident lawsuit, many parties could potentially be held liable. Again, liability is generally based on negligence, though not always. The following parties might be liable:
- Driver at Fault – Other drivers are the most common liable parties in car accidents. If a driver’s negligence caused the accident, they could be held liable. In accidents involving multiple vehicles, drivers may share liability.
- Vehicle Owner – Sometimes, the owner of the vehicle can be held liable even if they were not the driver, especially if they allow an unfit or unlicensed driver to use their vehicle.
- Employer – If the driver was operating a vehicle as part of their job duties at the time of the accident, their employer might be liable under the legal doctrine of “respondeat superior,” which holds employers responsible for the actions of their employees while they are working.
- Vehicle Manufacturer – If the accident was caused by a vehicle defect, such as faulty brakes or airbags, the manufacturer of the vehicle or the defective part might take on product liability.
- Government Entities – If road conditions, such as poor maintenance or malfunctioning traffic signals, played a role in the accident, local or state government entities responsible for road maintenance and safety might be liable.
- Bars or Restaurants – Under New York’s Dram Shop Act, a business that serves alcohol to an obviously intoxicated person who then caused a car accident may be held liable.
Determining liability in a car accident can be complex and requires a detailed investigation by a skilled lawyer. Our Garden City car accident attorneys will help you navigate the law and determine all potentially liable parties.
Types of Damage Recoverable in a Garden City Car Accident Lawsuit
Car crash victims may be entitled to recover economic and non-economic damages, collectively known as compensatory damages. Together, your economic and non-economic damages may cover things like:
- Medical bills
- Future medical care costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Wrongful death
Though somewhat rarer, you could also receive punitive damages. Courts order punitive damages to punish defendants for seriously irresponsible or otherwise reprehensible behavior, as well as to deter the same behavior in the future. If available in your case, our attorneys will aggressively pursue punitive damages on your behalf.
Garden City Car Accident Lawsuits FAQs
1. How Much Does It Cost to Hire an Attorney After a Car Accident in Garden City?
At Chopra & Nocerino, we take cases on a contingency-fee basis, meaning you pay nothing unless we win your case. We also cover upfront costs and offer free, no-obligation consultations, so there is no downside to having one of our skilled car accident attorneys review your case.
2. What Are the Most Common Types of Car Accident Injuries?
Car accidents can result in a wide range of injuries, varying from minor to severe. Many are fatal. Common types of injuries sustained in car accidents include:
- Broken and fractured bones
- Sprains, strains, and bruises
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries, including full or partial paralysis
- Whiplash and other neck injuries
- Burns and road rash
- Internal bleeding and organ damage
- Psychological trauma
3. How Long Do I Have to File a Car Accident Lawsuit in New York?
The filing deadline set by the New York statute of limitations for car accidents is generally three years from the date of the crash. Though there may be some exceptions that apply to your case, you should not rely on them before consulting with a skilled car accident attorney. Contact our team as soon as possible to avoid missing the deadline to seek compensation.
4. If I’m Partially Responsible for the Accident, Does It Affect My Compensation in Garden City?
5. What Is the Average Settlement for a Car Accident in Garden City?
Car accident settlements in Garden City vary widely based on the extent and severity of your injuries. Some cases are worth thousands of dollars, and others are worth millions. As a baseline rule, the more serious your injuries and losses are, the more compensation you will likely recover. Our legal team can give you an estimate of how much your case may be worth after reviewing the accident in your free consultation.
6. How Long Will It Take To Settle My Garden City Car Accident Case?
Car accident cases can take weeks or months to resolve, depending on the circumstances. If yours is a particularly high-value case, defendants will likely fight aggressively to reduce their liability. Though this can extend the timeline of your case, it is often worth the wait. While you focus on recovering from your injuries, let us focus on maximizing your compensation.
Let Us Step Up to the Plate and Hit It Out of the Ballpark for You
If you or a loved one has been hurt in a Garden City car accident, you don’t have to face the legal aftermath alone. Our knowledgeable and compassionate car accident lawyers at Chopra & Nocerino are standing by to help. Complete our online contact form to schedule your free consultation today.
CONTACT A LAWYER TODAY
ON THIS PAGE
- $10 MILLION
- $2.25 MILLION
- $2.25 MILLION
- $1.05 MILLION