Many people who live in the Garden City area live in some kind of apartment. An apartment resident probably doesn’t think about whether their building is safe until they face a serious injury. It is important that property owners follow New York building code regulations in order to keep everyone safe. Unfortunately, far too many New York building owners fail to regularly inspect their buildings and perform repairs to ensure they are safe.
There are many ways in which a failure to follow building codes can threaten resident’s safety. These include:
- Dangerous stairs: Stairways that have broken or missing handrails, damaged steps, or a lack of proper lighting can cause injuries from falls.
- Damaged balconies: Buildings that have balconies that are not maintained may collapse or a broken railing can lead to a fall. These falls can cause serious injuries or even death.
- Faulty plumbing: If water and sewer pipes are not regularly inspected, they can break, leading to extensive water damage as well as health issues related to mold.
- Defective wiring: If electrical wiring is not up to code or if appliances are not installed properly it can lead to fires or electrocution injuries.
- Broken elevators: Stuck or collapsing elevators can cause injuries to occupants.
- Inadequate lighting: When hallways, stairways, parking lots and other areas are not properly lit it can lead to a person falling and security issues may also be a problem with someone being the victim of a violent crime.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a slip and fall accident, the lawyers at Chopra & Nocerino can help. They have extensive experience in all matters regarding slip and fall accidents and can hold property owners accountable for their lack of maintenance.